8.15.2010

These Three Remain: Faith, Hope, and Love.


re·sil·ience
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈzil-yən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 1824
1 : an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change
2 : A word that has taken on incredible significance and literally, come alive before my eyes in the last month. The people I've known, loved-- and admittedly, taken for granted-- all my life have humbled me through their strength. Resilience, fortified in Faith and love.
One thing I have noticed on many blogs I follow is that the author will take a break from posting for a little while, then comes back with apologies about not posting. This could be an option for me today; but I will be realistic about this thing and know that, more than likely, not too many hours of sleep have been lost because my little blog hasn't been touched since early July.
For my own peace of mind, though, I will explain the absence.

This last month has been one of tragedy and bittersweet celebration for my family. This world lost one of the most courageous, compassionate members of our family to a very aggressive cancer, and her absence has left a void that supercedes description in words. Our comfort is that she is out of her pain here and now in the walls of a perfect heaven, a reward for a life well-lived while here.

This has has also propelled me into a period of introspection, re-evaluation, and a more clear view of this life and the people who I am so blessed to have in it.
This post has been evolving in my bedside journals, letters that won't be sent, and Post-It notes from my kitchen counter where I scribble down nonsensical thoughts on as I try to process everything.

It is heavy.
It's not about Tuscany, or interior design, or Balenciaga's upcoming runway collection.
It's kept me up at night with how complicated it is; yet, it ends up coming back to the fundamentals. The simple phrases that you see on refrigerator magnets, decorative wall hangings from Stien Mart, or in the guest-room bookshelf classic:
All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.

Yet, it's a topic that I'm still trying to grasp and still can't quite get words around. I will get there, eventually.
I'm just not quite there yet.

Please consider donating to the Lieomysarcoma Foundation Direct Research Foundation in memory of my precious, selfless, and courageous Aunt. By supporting LMSdr you can help expand advocacy for LMS clinical research and continue efforts to dramatically improve the expertise and knowledge of both patients and researchers alike. If you would like more information, please don't hesitate to send me an email.




No comments:

Post a Comment